[OS X TeX] Papers or BibDesk?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Apr 30 11:00:00 CEST 2007

Le 29 avr. 07 à 21:18, Oliver Buerschaper a écrit :

> On the other hand BibDesk is rather stable and for my purposes it
> does a good job keeping all my references together. However, I miss
> a few things like being able to group papers into subcategories of
> first level groups. But still BibDesk has been my number one choice
> for quite some time (and will probably remain so for a little
> while ;-)

Do you mean it's possible with BibDesk to group papers based on
various types of metadata, and then to filter out and sort them and
prepare lists of the output? That's the kind of things I did more
than a decade ago with FileMaker Pro (not for papers, it was for
organizing a conference), but I'm wondering whether BibDesk could do
this.

To be more specific: below are examples of lists I do currently
through tedious cut-and-paste, which is clearly sub-efficient:

<http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.cv/bvoisin/Sites/.Public/Gorodtsov-
All.pdf-zip.zip>
<http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.cv/bvoisin/Sites/.Public/Gorodtsov-
Waves.pdf-zip.zip>

Is this possible to do the same with BibDesk (without having to
perform some TeX or BibTeX programming, that is)?

That's the kind of functionality I'm interested in for BibDesk at the
moment, together with the ability to organize PDF paper files (group
them in folders and subfolders, move them from one to the other, a
bit like you manage messages and mailboxes in email software) and
associate the medata for each paper to the corresponding PDF file.

Originally I thought BibDesk was just a GUI for BibTeX, but according
to what I read in this list I have the impression BibDesk has turned
into a full-fledged bibliographic management tool, using BibTeX as
its underlying "database" engine.

Bruno Voisin