[OS X TeX] No room for a new \write

Alan Munn amunn at msu.edu
Fri Apr 27 20:41:33 CEST 2007

At 8:20 PM +0200 4/27/07, Roberto Avanzi wrote:
>On 27 Apr 2007, at 10:57, Ralph Martin wrote:
>
>>I am working on a Proceedings composed of many papers. After adding
>>one more paper, I  now get the error message below, which seems to
>>indicate I cannot open any more files for writing.
>>
>>What can I do to resolve this, if anything?
>>
>>---------------------------------------
>>(./46470000.toc [7])
>>! No room for a new \write .
>>\ch at ck ...\else \errmessage {No room for a new #3}
>>                                                   \fi
>>l.172 \tableofcontents
>>
>>? x
>>Output written on 46470000.dvi (3 pages, 10960 bytes).
>>---------------------------------------
>
>It seems your tex memory has been exhausted?  You should
>enlarge your tex, probably.

No, this error is regarding the number of currently open files that
TeX can deal with (and is not changeable).  You may need to give more
information about the packages you are using to see if there's a
solution.

Alan
--
Alan Munn
amunn at msu.edu
Department of Linguistics
and Germanic, Slavic, Asian and African Languages   Fax.  +1-517-432-2736
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI 48824       Tel.  +1-517-355-7491