[OS X TeX] OT: looking for a public-domain EPS file editor

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Apr 25 16:29:50 CEST 2007

Le 25 avr. 07 à 15:51, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> I'm still using a Powerbook G4 and the xpdf tools binariies seem to
> be PowerPC rather than Universal on my system. Are they Intel or
> Universal on your system? Do you have other binaries that are
> PowerPC that run ok on your system? I assume they'd run under
> Rosetta; is that correct?

In any case they run fine on my MacPro (2 Dual-Core Xeons). And the
epspdf applet is shown as "Application (PowerPC)" in the Get Info
window, indicating I think it runs under Rosetta.

> I'm curious because I have another binary I've compiled with gcc
> (to convert PGN notation Chess games to LaTeX + Skak) that is
> PowerPC (that's all I have on my system) and I'll eventually go
> over to Intel.

I can but encourage you to migrate to Intel. When you're working on
an Intel Mac most of the time, using a PPC Mac the rest of the time
feels really slow. Frequencies and RAM are probably involved as well
(together with hard-drive free space), but as a rule between my
MacPro (2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeons, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HD free space)
and my PowerBook G4 (1 GHz PPC G4, 1 GB RAM, 4 GB HD free space) I
would say the MacPro is generally 10 times faster than the PowerBook.

Actually I'm planning to replace the PowerBook by a black MacBook
ASAP (keeping the PowerBook around to still have Classic available
somewhere), but every month I'm postponing the order as I expect some
configuration upgrade at Apple. Last month a Leopard announcement was
expected, just today I saw that <http://www.hardmac.com/news/
2007-04-25/#6689>. What to do?

Bruno