[OS X TeX] jobname

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 00:49:36 CEST 2007

On Apr 23, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 23.04.2007 um 17:51 schrieb Alain Schremmer:
>
>> 		TextBooks > Math000Book doesn't work (with either \def or \edef)
>> as LaTeX complains about  \includegraphics{\jobname-1}
>
> This can't work! \jobname is one thing and -1 is another thing.

Actually not really but I should have looked at my original query
which was:

> Given a file ROOT that \include{FILE}, \jobname in FILE returns
> ROOT which makes sense but is there a way to get FILE instead of ROOT?

1) Looking more closely at my mini-example I just realized that the
suggested code doesn't let \jobname return FILE but still returns ROOT.

Indeed, the following

	PRINTunit >10   contains  \include EDITunit \jobname (=10)  which
contains  \includegraphics{\jobname-1}

works but this is only by accident since 10 happened also to be ROOT.

The following does not work:

	TextBooks > Math000Book contains \include EDITunit \jobname (=10)
which contains  \includegraphics{\jobname-1}

because it takes ROOT, that is Math000Book as \jobname. Indeed, I had
not noticed that LaTeX had said before "! LaTeX Error: File
`Math000Book-1' not found."

2) Come to think of it, it is surprising that, in the first case,
LaTeX did look for the figure called 10-1 and not for a figure called
… 9!

Regards
--schremmer