[OS X TeX] Re: utf8 problem and one TeXShop bug

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Apr 21 17:12:53 CEST 2007

Am 21.04.2007 um 16:45 schrieb Chabot Denis:

> No, I'm not sure. But in my small table some double quotes were
> present and were acceptable to LaTeX (in the sense that the
> document compiled without error) but they produced straight double-
> quotes instead of the nicer looking curly ones LaTeX gives me if I
> put two ordinary quotes side by side. In case this was a Word
> special character, I tried entering a double quote from my keyboard
> but the result was still a straight double quote in the resulting pdf.
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes: a means to check the actual byte code of a character! Or some
different colour to be used for typographical quotes.

I think you mean the quotes in the geographical co-ordinates of
places in your example. These are not meant to be curly but straight
– because they are no quotes. ``'´´ stands for minute and ``"´´
stands for second. And I'd also recommend some space between " and
then the O or N and a bit less space between the number and the m of
the depth where the organisms were found. I remember a package that
was doing these things automatically, but I can't recall neither its
author nor its name ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.