[OS X TeX] Re: utf8 problem and one TeXShop bug

Chabot Denis chabotd at globetrotter.net
Sat Apr 21 16:45:16 CEST 2007

hi Pete,

Le 07-04-20 ˆ 20:00, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List a Žcrit :

> Am 20.04.2007 um 03:07 schrieb Chabot Denis:
>
>> I already cleaned Word's "curly quotes" (or apostrophes) to get
>> TeX's nice looking apostrophes and quotes. Now I'll have to watch
>> for non-breaking spaces also. And double quotes: I just realised
>> that the true "double quote" symbol gives me straight double quotes
>> in TeX, and that I need two apostrophes to get curly double quotes.
>

> Are you really sure you need to do so? In UTF-8 LaTeX accepts:
>
> 䴝LEFT and RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK (2018/2019)䴜
>
> ‰¥ûSINGLE LOW-9 and no HIGH-REVERSED-9 QUOTATION MARK (201A/201B)%‰¥ý
>
> ‰¥þLEFT and RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK (201C/201D)‰¥ÿ
>
> 䴛DOUBLE LOW-9 and no HIGH-REVERSED-9 QUOTATION MARK (201E/201F)%䴀
>

> --
> Greetings
>
>    Pete

No, I'm not sure. But in my small table some double quotes were
present and were acceptable to LaTeX (in the sense that the document
compiled without error) but they produced straight double-quotes
instead of the nicer looking curly ones LaTeX gives me if I put two
ordinary quotes side by side. In case this was a Word special
character, I tried entering a double quote from my keyboard but the
result was still a straight double quote in the resulting pdf.

Am I missing something?

Denis