[OS X TeX] utf8 problem and one TeXShop bug

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Apr 18 16:27:35 CEST 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 9:21 PM, Chabot Denis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> More and more I'm using
>
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
>
> instead of
> \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
>
> because I often combine output from R (open source stats package
> that prefers utf8 on mac) with LaTeX.
>
> I had a document that compiled well when it was set to iso latin 1,
> but fails after I converted all the components to uft8 (no BOM)
> with TextWrangler.
>
> To be precise, one table fails.
>
> I have made a short document for the list.
>
> %&program=pdflatex
>
> \documentclass[12pt]{article}
> \usepackage{geometry} % see geometry.pdf on how to lay out the
> page. There's lots.
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \usepackage[full]{textcomp}
> \usepackage{txfonts}  % au lieu de lmodern, pour avoir Times Roman
> %\usepackage{lmodern}
> %\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
> \usepackage[french,english]{babel}
> \usepackage{array}   % me permet de faire des colonnes "p"
> justifiées à gauche dans Tab.x
> \usepackage{booktabs} % ``Proper'' table layout

The problem might be that TeXShop isn't OPENING the file in UTF-8,
it's assuming the default you have set.

Put the lines

%%!TEX TS-program = pdflatex
%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

and it will automatically be saved and opened as unicode. Actually
the first line should replace the

%&program=pdflatex

line since that notation is deprecated because of conflicts when
using TeXShop engines and some compilers.

I too have had problems with TeXShop 2.10beta8 not opening files with
the chosen encoding when using the Open... command. :-(

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)