[OS X TeX] Re: [OS X Emacs] AucTeX, simpdftex, dvipdfmx in ECE plugin

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Apr 18 11:16:40 CEST 2007

Am 18.04.2007 um 07:05 schrieb Enrico Franconi:

>> '(TeX-command-list (quote
>> 	(("XeTeX" "%`xetex%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil (plain-tex-mode
>> context-mode texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode))
>> 	("XeTeXx" "%`xetex -output-driver=xdvipdfmx%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-
>> TeX nil (plain-tex-mode context-mode texinfo-mode ams-tex-mode))
>> 	("XeLaTeX" "%`xelatex%(mode)%' %t" TeX-run-TeX nil (latex-mode
>> doctex-mode ams-tex-mode))
>> 	("XeLaTeXx" "%`xelatex -output-driver=xdvipdfmx%(mode)%' %t" TeX-
>> run-TeX nil (latex-mode doctex-mode ams-tex-mode))
>
> Is it just the above?

When I save my customisation nothing else gets added – so this must
be all!

Ann additional thing is the -E option to xdvipdfmx. Usually xdvipdfmx
behaves legally, i.e. it respects a font's license that says it may
not be included in a document. -E removes this behaviour.

There might be other additions needed when working with non-default
paper sizes. Particularly xdv2pdf, the on Apple's Quartz based
convertor from XDV to PDF for Mac OS X, is not aware of the default
paper size set on the system and uses its internal default, letter.
If someone sloppy does not set in XeTeX or XeLaTeX document the paper
size, believing it will work as with TeX or LaTeX, he or she can
encounter a surprise. In those cases the command should be extended to

	"%`xetex -output-driver=xdv2pdf -p a4%(mode)%' %t"
	"%`xelatex -output-driver=xdv2pdf -p a4%(mode)%' %t"

and other variants can be:

	"%`xetex -output-driver=xdv2pdf -p a4:landscape%(mode)%' %t"
	"%`xelatex -output-driver=xdv2pdf -p a4:landscape%(mode)%' %t"

It's obvious that AUCTeX needs built-in support for XeTeX to handle
the non-default cases and particularly the choice of XDV to PDF
convertor.

--
Greetings

   Pete

build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
                                                -- Rich Cook