[OS X TeX] Creating a dvi file

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Apr 17 15:46:31 CEST 2007

Le 17 avr. 07 à 13:03, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Apple provides since Jaguar (a late update, I think, 10.3.8 or
> such) sips:
>
> 	sips --getProperty pixelHeight --getProperty pixelWidth <image file>
>
> It works on these graphics formats: jpeg | tiff | png | gif | jp2 |
> pict | bmp | qtif | psd | sgi | tga.

Thanks for that info. But then we've got a problem, as the two
utilities (Apple's sips and ImageMagick's identify) don't seem to
always report the same info. Sometimes they do, but not always:

$ sips --getProperty pixelHeight --getProperty pixelWidth 403.jpg
/Users/brunovoisin/Desktop/test/403.jpg
   pixelHeight: 668
   pixelWidth: 1453
$ identify -format %@ 403.jpg
1453x668+0+0
$ sips --getProperty pixelHeight --getProperty pixelWidth fig8f.png
/Users/brunovoisin/Desktop/test/fig8f.png
   pixelHeight: 1969
   pixelWidth: 2833
$ identify -format %@ fig8f.png
2831x1931+2+0
$ sips --getProperty pixelHeight --getProperty pixelWidth fig3.pdf
/Users/brunovoisin/Desktop/test/fig3.pdf
   pixelHeight: 448
   pixelWidth: 798
$ identify -format %@ fig3.pdf
382x215+0+0

I got the impression the default units were TeX's big points (1/72
inch) for identify, and pixels for sips, and I thought the two units
were identical on the Mac by default. Or does it depend on the chosen
resolution in System Preferences > Monitor?

But now I'm speaking of things I really don't know much about, and
I'd better stop.

Bruno