[OS X TeX] Using Zapfino

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Thu Apr 12 13:24:42 CEST 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 7:03 AM, Christian Burk wrote:

> I am using TL2007 and TS 2.10 to typeset my stuff and I do not have
> any clue about fonts... ;)
> Inspired by a post from Herb Schulz, I found on XeTeX website a
> screenshot with Zapfino and was asking myself if I could use this
> font within my document for my dedication.
>
> Is there a way to use it? If yes, how could this be done?

Assuming you're using pdftex or tex/dvips and need to continue to do
so, the most expedient thing is to just use XeLaTeX (there're
examples and it's specifically shown in the fontspec documentation)
to make a .pdf and then place that in your document (convert the pdf
to a .eps using your preferred tool if need be) like any other graphic.

For an extreme view on this sort of thing, some information on
Zapfino (and a basic xetex example document) you could look at my
TUG2003 presentation:

http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb24-2/tb77adams.pdf

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.