[OS X TeX] Students could use some help

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Apr 10 01:03:28 CEST 2007

Am 09.04.2007 um 22:15 schrieb Daniel Culver:

>  and arial font

TeX does not support Arial yet. It's neither a free font not is built
into usual PostScript Level 1 printers. Helvetica seems to look a bit
better ...

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt]{article}
\usepackage{ifpdf}
\ifpdf
    \immediate\write16{Bonjour, PDF!}
    \usepackage{cmap}
    \usepackage[activate={true,nocompatibility}]{microtype}
\else
    \immediate\write16{¡Hola: DVI!}
%   \DeclareGraphicsExtensions{.png,.gif,.eps,.ps,.jpeg}
    \usepackage[protrusion=true,expansion=false]{microtype}
\fi
\usepackage[UKenglish]{babel}
%\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[full]{textcomp}
\usepackage[latin9]{inputenc}
\usepackage[headheight=3in,includehead]{geometry}
\usepackage{helvet,fancyhdr}
%\usepackage{times,helvet,courier}
%\usepackage{lscape}

%\nofiles
%\listfiles
%\enlargethispage*{5cm}
%\thispagestyle{empty}
\pagestyle{fancy}
\renewcommand{\headrulewidth}{0pt}

\title{My first title in \LaTeX}
\author{nominal name}
\date{}

\begin{document}

\maketitle

\begin{abstract}
Short, but not too abstract!
\end{abstract}

\sffamily

\section{My first section}

My first line of \LaTeX{} text -- finally! Or is ``eventually'' better
and a more precise description?

\pagebreak
\fancyhead{}
\fancyfoot{}
\rhead{\thepage}

This is meant to make a first page number appear, nothing else.
(Actually we need to define here the page number, otherwise it could
have happened that it would have appeared on the first page!)

\newpage

OK, let's have another page!

\end{document}

--