[OS X TeX] Really basic i-installer question

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Sun Apr 8 21:12:42 CEST 2007

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:

> On Apr 8, 2007, at 1:57 PM, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I want to make sure that I have the most up-to-date copy of gwTeX, so I do
>> the following:
>>
>> (1) Select "Gerben's directory @ TUG."
>>
>> (2) Select "gwTeX based on TeX Live" and open it.
>>
>> (3) Go to "Pkg properties".
>>
>> (4) If "remote package" and "self" differ, push the "update self from
>> remote" button. This will just make the two the same, rather than download
>> the entire package.

Yes, and you'll need to push [Install & Configure]

>> I then follow the various prompts, making configuration
>> choices as required.
>>
>> Is this correct?

Yes + selecting [Install & Configure]

> <snip>
>
> Further questions---
>
> - Do I then run "configure" after the update has been performed?

Yes, as I recall, selecting [Install & Configure] would perform updating
and configuration.

> - I see that there are three entries under "version" in the "package
> properties": self, remote, and installed. I take it that "installed" is the
> initially installed version; self is the current version, taking into account
> various updates; and "remote" is the version that's on the i-installer
> server.

I think so. But the entire relation between Self and Installed
i-Packages is not entirely clear to me. Self (Installed) and Remote are
the i-Packages that consist of some scripts mediating the downloading,
installation and configuration of the actual gwTeX system (TeX
distribution). The Self (Installed) i-Package (perhaps) contains the
user's configuration choices and information about version, date, etc.
and is supposed to be identical to the Remote i-Package. When there are
some update changes in the gwTeX system, they are reflected on Remote. And
in such case i-Installer detects that Self (Installed) is different from
Remote and needs updating.

I'm not quite sure if I am right about the following relation and work of
Self <-> Installed:

Using Self, i-Installer checks for updates recorded in the Remote (by
comparing Self with Remote). Upon hitting only [Update Self from Remote],
the installation has not yet been performed. After hitting
[Install & Configure], upon successful completion of the entire process,
Installed i-Package gets updated as a record of the installed and
configured gwTeX system (version, configuration choices, download date,
etc) on the user's machine.

Thus we have

- gwTeX system:
   = the original system on the repository i-Directory
   = an individualized copy of on the user's machine
- three "service" i-Packages
   Remote <-> Self (mediator) <-> Installed (actual installation)

I'm not sure of the above, but for now this is my vision based on Gerben's
and Bruno's explanations. My vision might not be quite right, and if so,
perhaps someone would correct me.

Roussanka