[OS X TeX] > 1000 subscribers [off-topic]

Peter Pagin peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se
Thu Apr 5 18:00:57 CEST 2007

Hi,
let me join in thanking again the people whose work on (La)TeX for the
Mac have made my working life so much more of a pleasure over the last
couple of years, especially Richard Koch, Gerben Wierda, The Bibdesk
team, Jonathan Kew, Herb Schulz, Gary Gray (congrats), Jerome Laurens,
Bruno Voisin and others, including authors of my favorite packages. A
special thanks to Adobe for discontinuing the development of FrameMaker
on the Mac, for if they hadn't, I would still have been using that.

Best,
Peter

Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2007, at 11:08 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>
>> I thought you might be interested to know that the TeX on Mac OS X
>> Mailing List broke the 1000 subscriber mark yesterday. The list began
>> on Sunday, April 29, 2001. Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah) was released to
>> the world on March 24, 2001.
>>
>> That's it. Happy TeX'ing.
>>
>> All the best,
>>   Gary
>
> Howdy,
>
> After getting my first laptop (550MHz 15" TiBook) with OS X 10.1 I
> went searching for a decent WP. In the distant past I had used
> TeXtures but had switched to FrameMaker ; Adobe (bless their hearts)
> wasn't going to build a version for OS X. Trying MS Word V.x turned
> into a disaster!
>
> I had used TeX with a home made set of macros based on a mix of LaTeX
> and troff's memorandum macros (mm) years before (hmmm... when was the
> TUG convention in Montreal?) and I read about the Mac OS X TeX web
> site and found out about this list. It was back to TeX but now using
> LaTeX and I won't look back. I want to deeply thank both Joe Slater
> and Gary Gray for having their most helpful web site and Gary for
> maintaining this mailing list. I've been helped many times by many
> folks and hope I've returned the favor a bit. The knowledge base and
> friendliness here is amazing (yes, I know we've had a few flame wars,
> but the noise level is amazingly low and the trick to to simply not
> get sucked into them).
>
> I must also thank Gerben Wierda for his great i-Installer and the
> wonderful, and easily installed, i-packages. He has made it easy to
> put a lovely TeX distribution and associated software on an OS X system.
>
> Even my old files from my dark days with PCs and PC TeX (that was
> MSDOS 6---never used Windowz) compile after building my old macro set;
> good luck with FrameMaker (especially on an Intel Mac without Classic)
> or Word files!
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Professor
Department of Philosophy, Stockholm University
106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
tel: +46-8-162813, fax: +46-8-152226
email: peter.pagin at philosophy.su.se