[OS X TeX] Is this geometry behavior correct?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Apr 5 17:16:38 CEST 2007

On Apr 5, 2007, at 9:42 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 05.04.2007 um 15:40 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>
>> The pdf produced via latex->dvips->ps2pdf (tex+ghostcript) appears
>> clearly in portrait orientation in TeXShop's viewer (didn't try
>> Preview) while the one produced directly via pdflatex processing
>> is in landscape mode.
>
> And the text orientation?

Howdy,

The text orientation is horizontal in both cases; the pdf page is
clearly landscape oriented with pdflatex or (tex+ghostscript) with
the [dvips] option for geometry processing but portrait oriented with
(tex+ghostscript) processing without the [dvips] option to geometry.

> Have you tried to invoke dvips with '-t landscape'? You know,
> simpdftex accepts some extra arguments for dvips or the distiller ...
>

> DVI has no syntax to record the size of the area some text or
> whatever would be printed – this is known by (La)TeX. DVI 'has move
> to, choose this font at that size and draw the specified
> character.' So you need to tell dvips, dvipdfm(x), xdvi which paper
> in which orientation will be used. All have some DEFAULT value in
> mind for ease of use. But when *you* intend not to use it ...
>
> The little utility dvitype can translate the DVI file's contents to
> something more readable.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

I think the point is that I thought the geometry package detected the
orientation and executed all the correct commands/specials
automatically. It appears that the algorithm it is using to
automatically detect which engine is being used doesn't quite work
properly since it needs ``help'' in picking out the correct engine.

Howdy,

I think the point I'm trying to make

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)