[OS X TeX] > 1000 subscribers [off-topic]

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Apr 4 15:24:23 CEST 2007

On Apr 3, 2007, at 11:08 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> I thought you might be interested to know that the TeX on Mac OS X
> Mailing List broke the 1000 subscriber mark yesterday. The list
> began on Sunday, April 29, 2001. Mac OS X 10.0 (Cheetah) was
> released to the world on March 24, 2001.
>
> That's it. Happy TeX'ing.
>
> All the best,
>   Gary

Howdy,

After getting my first laptop (550MHz 15" TiBook) with OS X 10.1 I
went searching for a decent WP. In the distant past I had used
TeXtures but had switched to FrameMaker ; Adobe (bless their hearts)
wasn't going to build a version for OS X. Trying MS Word V.x turned
into a disaster!

I had used TeX with a home made set of macros based on a mix of LaTeX
and troff's memorandum macros (mm) years before (hmmm... when was the
TUG convention in Montreal?) and I read about the Mac OS X TeX web
site and found out about this list. It was back to TeX but now using
LaTeX and I won't look back. I want to deeply thank both Joe Slater
and Gary Gray for having their most helpful web site and Gary for
maintaining this mailing list. I've been helped many times by many
folks and hope I've returned the favor a bit. The knowledge base and
friendliness here is amazing (yes, I know we've had a few flame wars,
but the noise level is amazingly low and the trick to to simply not
get sucked into them).

I must also thank Gerben Wierda for his great i-Installer and the
wonderful, and easily installed, i-packages. He has made it easy to
put a lovely TeX distribution and associated software on an OS X system.

Even my old files from my dark days with PCs and PC TeX (that was
MSDOS 6---never used Windowz) compile after building my old macro
set; good luck with FrameMaker (especially on an Intel Mac without
Classic) or Word files!

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)