[OS X TeX] Begining in Mac-TeX

Othon Branco brazil.tex at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 00:24:28 CEST 2007

Hello, MacOSX-TeX people,

Sorry my english - I'm from Brazil,

I used Winedt + Miktex combination in WIndows. Now I'm Macuser, and
would like to know the best software combination for Mac. I'd like
install my packages on the fly like Miktex used to do.

So, I install TexShop + i-Installer. I follow the instructions from
 ``LaTeX: It's Not Just for Academia, Part 1 by Kevin O'Malley'':

``1.  Download the latest version of TeXShop
   2. Locate and open the TeXShop .dmg file and drag TeXShop to your
Applications folder (if you wish, place TeXShop in the Dock)
   3. Place pdfsync.sty in your ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex folder (if
necessary, create the folders within your Library folder)
   4. Save the remaining files in the folder to a new folder called TeXShop

Installing TeXLive and teTeX Distributions

   1. Download II2.dmg from the TeXShop site (under Obtaining TeXShop
and TeXLive-teTeX)
   2. Open II2.dmg and drag i-Installer to the Utilities folder inside
Applications
   3. Double-click on the i-Installer, choose i-Package->Known
Packages i-Directory...
   4. Install each of the following packages, in this following order

      (not all of these packages are required, but it's a good idea to
install them anyway). To install a package, select the package, click
the "Open i-Package" button, and click the "Install & Configure"
button
          * TeX
          * CM Super for TeX
          * Ghostscript 8
          * Freetype 2
          * wmf and iconv conversion support
          * ImageMagick
          * TeX Support: TeX4ht --- [I didn't find this, by the way]

Now that you've installed the program, launch TeXShop and select
File->Open. Maneuver to the TeXShop folder (that you saved above) and
open example.tex, which is located in TeXShop_Folder. Finally, click
on the Typeset button in the editors toolbar. If everything installed
correctly you will see TeXShop process the document and display the
corresponding PDF file.''

It runs all right. But my particular document has the preambule:

\documentclass[twocolumn,a4paper,openany]{book}
\clubpenalty=10000
\widowpenalty=10000
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[brazil]{babel}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{utopia}%{times}%{charter}%{bookman}
\usepackage{fancyhdr}
\pagestyle{fancy}
\usepackage{dropping}
\usepackage[dvips]{geometry}
\geometry{a4paper,left=3cm,right=2cm,top=1.5cm,bottom=1.5cm}

And the TeXShop didn't find the dropping package.

Therefore,

1) Doesn't  i-Installer install packages on the fly, like MikteX?
2) How can I install and where I put the packages always they are
required using TeXShop?
3) Is there any configuration to be in TeXShop's preferences?

Thank you all for any help!

[ ]`s

Othon

I have teTeX installed
using the iInstaller and I generally use TeXShop for my front end.