[OS X TeX] OT: Pages format definitions

Roussanka Loukanova rloukano at stp.lingfil.uu.se
Tue Apr 3 20:36:25 CEST 2007

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> WARNING:  OT = OT = OT = OT = OT = OT = OT = OT = OT = OT = OT
>
> On Apr 3, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Berend Hasselman wrote:
>

>> On 3 Apr 2007, at 19:10, Alain Schremmer wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course: Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. (Lord
>>> Acton.)
>>
>> From   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dalberg-Acton,_1st_Baron_Acton
>>
>> Actually it is
>>
>> 	Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.
>
> Thanks for the correction but it's too bad: I like the short version better.

It is not a correction, just another story. The shorter version (which is
closer, if not equivalent to the reality) is the last item in the list of
Famous Sayings of Lord Acton given on the page accessible from the above
link.

>> apparently followed a third phrase:
>>
>> 	Great men are almost always bad men.
>>
>> How very true.
>
> Very much so, particularly when they are "leaders".
>
>> BTW: the original dictum refers to papal power.
>
> How very true.
>
> But, being a mathematician, I tend to generalize. :-)

I remember words from my grandmother, but I do not know whose they were:
If you want to know a man, give him power.

BTW, to Herb and you, thanks for "[OS X TeX] documentation files of local
additions" (and no doubt to Bruno, for the descriptions of the
organization of the local additions).

Roussanka