[OS X TeX] question: file path displayed in LaTeX figures

Thad Dunning thad.dunning at yale.edu
Tue Apr 3 03:16:56 CEST 2007

To the Mac OS X mailing list:

Hi everybody,

I have been using TeXShop Version 2.09 and just downloaded and
installed Version 2.10beta8 (210) to see if I could sleuth out a
solution to the problem described below, but to no avail so far.  (I
installed this version of TeXShop using the MacTeX-2007 Multiplexer
available at Richard Koch's website, http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/
texshop/obtaining.html).

The issue is that when I call .pdf files as figures or tables, the
path of the file is displayed below (and sometimes above) the figure
or table. This is disruptive, since the files are often stored in sub-
directories and the file names can be quite long.

In addition, the figures are not fully flush to the left (nor are
they centered). Instead, it looks as though the figures are scrunched
up to the right of the page. Part of the problem may be that the path
name below and to the left of the figure or table seems to prevent
the figure from displaying properly.

I've tried various ways of calling the .pdf files. Here are some
examples of code I have used:

\begin{figure}
\caption[The impact of oil on democracy as inequality varies: fGLS
estimates of interaction model]{The % Impact of Oil on Democracy as
Inequality Varies \\ (fGLS estimates of interaction model)}
\includegraphics[bb=.75in 5.75in 6.75in 9.9in,clip]{/Users/td244/
Desktop/Folders/Research/Crude Democracy/Book/Chapter Four empirics/
Data/Master data set/figure4_1v2.pdf}
\label{4.1}
\end{figure}

\includegraphics[bb=.75in 5.75in 6.75in 9.9in,clip]{/Users/td244/
Desktop/Folders/Research/Crude Democracy/Book/Chapter Four empirics/
Data/Master data set/figure4_1v2.pdf}

\begin{figure}
\begin{center}
\caption{Coups against democracy}
\leavevmode
\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{\includegraphics{/Users/td244/Desktop/
Folders/Research/Crude Democracy/Book/Chapter One figures/Coups.pdf}}
\end{center}
\label{Coups against democracy}
\end{figure}

\begin{table}
\label{table Lat Am}
\center
\caption{Rents and democracy in Latin America}
\leavevmode
\resizebox{\textwidth}{!}{\includegraphics{/Users/td244/Desktop/
Folders/Research/Crude Democracy/Book/Chapter Four empirics/Tables
and Figures/Lat Am.pdf}}
\center
\end{table}

All of these options leave the whole path of the file displayed,
e.g., "/Users/td244/Desktop/Folders/Research/Crude Democracy/Book/
Chapter Four empirics/Tables and Figures/Lat Am.pdf"

Any help would be very greatly appreciated!!

Best,

Thad Dunning