[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2006 and 2007

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Apr 2 15:06:44 CEST 2007

Le 2 avr. 07 à 12:18, Steffen Wolfrum a écrit :

> Up to now I worked with a TeXLive installation made with Gerben's i-
> installer in December last year.
> After reading on MacTeX's homepage that with MacTeX multiple TeX
> distribution will still exist side-by-side and furthermore can
> easily be switched, I decided to install a more recent TeXLive
> version using the MaCTeX installer.
>
> This I did, but after opening the TeX Distribution preference pane
> I just saw *one* TeXLive-2007.
>
> So, how to switch between my old and the new distro now?

I guess that's because your "old" distribution is one of the interim
distributions released at the end of 2006/beginning of 2007. For them
there is no corresponding .texdist bundle inside /Library/TeX/
Distributions, meaning you can't switch.

I would recommend to install gwTeX (with i-Installer, or using the
MacTeX package from <http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html>).
It should be practically identical to your "old" TeX, but the TeXDist
mechanism will be aware of it, meaning the TeX Distribution pref
panel will see it. Thus, it should live alongside TeXLive-2007 and
the pref panel should allow switching between the two.

You can keep gwTeX and the old TeX distro for some time, verify that
your TeX documents compile with gwTeX, and then get rid of your "old"
TeX.

BTW, there is no TeXLive-2006: when the release date of the planned
TeXLive-2006 slipped through the end of 2006, it was renamed to
TeXLive-2007.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin