[OS X TeX] TeXShop and .cfg configuration files

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 28 13:10:44 CEST 2006

Le 28 sept. 06 à 11:59, Themis Matsoukas a écrit :

> On Sep 27, 2006, at 9:36 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately Spotlight and Finder searches don't look in all
>> directories! Get the freeware program SpotlightIndexer and tell it
>> to let Spotlight index /usr/local/teTeX/ after setting the
>> preference to Force Indexing. This will take some time --- when
>> the barber pole stops it's done. Then you can use the Find the
>> folders.
>
> Or, locate revtex (in the terminal).

I haven't used locate in a long time, but when I was using it it was
through the nice GUI Locator <http://www.sebastian-krauss.de/software/
#locator> (now unsupported).

Regarding Spotlight, I have grown so frustrated by its lack of
sophistication:

- no way to combine multiple search criteria as with good ole' find
(like search for all files with name containing "data" created by
user "bruno" in application "Mathematica" with modification date more
recent than "2 september 2006")

- hidden directories like /usr/local/man not indexed by default

- automatic background operation and lack of user interaction,
preventing, for example, to instruct Spotlight not to index specific
directories (I know I have directories containing buggy PDF files on
which Spotlight chokes, but I want to keep these files on disk given
they print OK and they are results that I have created years ago and
might reuse someday)

- start of search as soon as you start typing in the Spotlight search
field, instead of waiting that you have finished carefully crafting
your search criterion

- necessity to get a specific Spotlight importer for each and every
file format to index, instead of allowing, for example, indexing
based on file name only for those files for which no importer exists

- no built-in GUI offering the same functionality as the
SpotlightIndexer add-on (I prefer to avoid add-ons whenever possible)

that I have eventually stopped using Spotlight at all.

For all the hype that followed its introduction, I am now thinking
Spotlight is mostly a nuisance, and I miss standard search
functionality. I hope Leopard will turn Spotlight into something
eventually useful.

As a result, for most searches I am using BBEdit Search
functionality, by instructing BBEdit to search whole directories and
include invisible files in the search.

I miss a way of turning Spotlight off and simply returning to the
former Finder's Find functionality.

Bruno Voisin