[OS X TeX] TeXShop and .cfg configuration files

AES siegman at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 28 02:52:47 CEST 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 22:14, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>Textures is an exmaple of as closed setup. They control(led) their
>entire setup, could make sure everything worked just fine in the single
>situation they have/had to handle and thus they do/did not need to
>explain anything about these behind-the-scenes things. It is generally
>nice to be in such an envirnment for the user.
>
>TeX Live is a system shared between a wide variety of setups, from
>Windows to all the unixes. There are differences between these systems
>and there are multiple options for almost everything (e.g. dvips,
>dvipdfm, pdftex).

All the more reason for needing careful, clear, unified documentation
-- documentation that is understandable especially by new or novice
users, not so?

And the fact that TeX Live is made up of multiple components,
prepared separately by the (greatly appreciated) volunteer efforts of
individuals who may be superb programmers but not necessarily superb
at documentation, makes for (a) increased opportunities for conflicts
and unanticipated interactions between these components; (b) widely
scattered documentation of widely variable quality; and (c) confusion
by novice users as to what information they need and where to find it.

>When copyting ReVTeX over from Textures to TeX Live/teTeX on Mac OS X
>you copied something that was tuned to one rather specific environment
>(including the cfg file) to another.
>
>Just wondering though, why did you not use the revtex that is already
there?

Because I did a Finder search for RevTeX on my system, which only
brought up the RevTeX that I had downloaded some time back for use
with Textures.  (And, incidentally, the journals, as part of their ms
submission instructions, generally instruct potential authors to download
and use their particular LaTeX packages, like RevTeX and others.)