[OS X TeX] Unexplained TeXshop crashes

Louis Talman talmanl at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 05:39:05 CEST 2006

I'm using TeXshop, installed via MacTeX v1.1, dated 6/8/06 to work on
a book whose current length is about 350 pages.  It consists of a
short introduction, which is in a root file, and nine chapters, each
in its own include-file.  There is also a BibTeX bibliography and an
index.  When I'm working on Chapter N, I activate a line

\includeonly{ChapterN}

and work away at it.

So far so good.  But when I comment out the \includeonly line in
order to compile the whole work and to update the index and the
bibliography, TeXShop frequently crashes--usually when I ask for a
second compilation but sometimes right after the first compilation.
It simply quits, and Mac tells me that it's quit unexpectedly.  Duh.

Restarting has always worked, and the crashes happen well after the
program has saved my revisions (and I have multiple backups), so this
has more the nature of a big fat nuisance than an emergency.

I'm unable to identify the circumstances that cause the crashes--I
thought for a while that they happened when pagination changed, but
that doesn't seem to be the case.  I thought, briefly, that deleting
all of the .aux files cured the problem--but it doesn't.  The more
changes I make in one of the chapters, the more likely, it seems,
that TeXShop will crash.  I haven't been able to duplicate the
behavior with anything other than the files I'm working on.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Does anyone have any ideas?

--Lou Talman
   Metropolitan State College of Denver

   <http://clem.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>