[OS X TeX] TeXShop and Metapost: labels can't be typesetted with LaTeX

Claus Gerhardt gerhardt at math.uni-heidelberg.de
Wed Sep 27 01:15:43 CEST 2006

Sorry, I wasn't aware that your example file should be saved as a .mp
file. In this case the script below should do the trick.

The script needs Flashmode-downloadable because of the subroutine.

Claus

tell application "TeXShop"
	get path of document of window 1
	set fileName to result
end tell
set scriptPath to (do shell script "dirname " & "~/Library/Flashmode/
Subroutines/ex")
set scriptPath to scriptPath & "/setnametsn.scpt"
set scriptName to POSIX file scriptPath as alias
set scriptLiB to (load script scriptName)
tell scriptLiB
	set {baseName, texName, pdfName, namePath, dirName, dirNameunquoted,
logName, logPath, rtfName, docName} to setnametsn(fileName)
end tell

set shellScript to "cd " & dirName & ";"
set shellScript to shellScript & "~/Library/TeXShop/bin/mpostc  " &
baseName
do shell script shellScript

On Sep 26, 2006, at 23:13, Franck Pastor wrote:

> Le 26-sept.-06 à 19:24, Claus Gerhardt a écrit :
>
>> In ~/Library/TeXShop/bin is a shell script mpostc. Add the option -
>> tex=latex to its command. The Applescripts mpostc or mpostcpl will
>> then produce what you want.
>>
>> Claus
>>

> Thanks! mpostcpl does the tricks, as I use mfpic :-)
>
> However, if I want to compile a Metapost file with mpostc, it
> doesn't work ("Applescript Error : TeXShop got an error:
> NSReceveirEvaluationScriptError: 4"). I'm starting to think that
> the best way to deal with this problem would be a panel in the
> preferences...
>
> Franck Pastor
>
>> On Sep 26, 2006, at 18:33, Franck Pastor wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am using Metapost (mainly via the package "mfpic", but also the
>>> Metapost language itself) for my pictures, and as TeXShop
>>> supports Metapost, I thought I could use it to write my programs
>>> and run them. But I have a problem. Metapost uses internally
>>> Plain TeX by default to typeset labels in a figure, and I would
>>> like to make it use LaTeX instead.
>>>
>>> For example, this little program (let's call it "example.mp") is
>>> supposed to use LaTeX to typeset its label (hence the
>>> "verbatimtex...etex" block):
>>>
>>> verbatimtex
>>> \documentclass{article}
>>> \begin{document}
>>> etex
>>> beginfig(1);
>>> z1 = (sqrt(5)*cm,0);
>>> draw z0--z1;
>>> label.bot(btex $\sqrt{5}$ etex, 1/2[z0,z1]);
>>> endfig;