[OS X TeX] Apologies w.r.t. public communication with Rowland

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Sep 20 09:16:12 CEST 2006

I have to correct something.

On Sep 19, 2006, at 15:41 , Gerben Wierda wrote:

>>> On 17-sep-2006, at 22:23, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
>
>> I cannot
>> figure out anything about how to use i-installer to give me what I
>> want,
>> or indeed anything remotely useful.  I asked the author for
>> assistance.
>> I got none.
>
> [and]
>
>> Personal experience
>> which shows that there is no useful documentation, and the author
>> will
>> not provide help to a confused user?
>
> [and]
>
>> Now, I've tried i-installer and just ended up with junk on my hard
>> disc
>> that I'm going to have to re-format to remove.  The documentation is
>> useless, and so's the author if you ask him for help.
>
> [but]
>
>> It turns out that the MacTeX
>> installer doesn't work properly, but while i-installer's author
>> wouldn't
>> help me sort out i-installer, he did help me sort out the problems
>> I had
>> with MacTeX.
>
> The guy is crazy! Why can't he stay in character as a decently evil
> malware provider?

Just to be clear, this was intended as a joke. With "the guy" I was
referring to "i-Installer's author" not to Rowland McDonnell and the
malware was i-Installer and the i-Packages. My apologies if someone
interpreted it the other way.

I must also apologize to you all for fouling up the list with some OT
parts of my reactions to Rowland (apart from my technical answers). I
have been going on with this partly because Rowland's communication
intrigues me from a different point of view and has links with my
interests in psychology and philosophy (e.g. Wittgenstein about (not)
rule-following in human communication, the socalled `language
games'). This has gone partly at the expense of the general high
level-to-noise ratio of this list. I will try if I can withstand the
attraction of going on with this. I agree with Rowland that much of
the documentation (in particular that of i-Installer) is not very
good and this whole business has put that on my agenda once more,
though I do not know f I have the time to do something about it.

The only exception I already know I might make is that I might
publish on this list a link to Rowland's communication with me. A few
wekes ago I told Rowland that I would behave if he would behave, but
that if he would go on with not behaving (e.g. lying about that I did
not want or try to help him), I would assume I had his permission to
set the record straight by publishing our offlist mail. This I will
do, as letting people walk away with lies about me in public is sadly
not part of my psychological make-up. Call it a weakness.