[OS X TeX] TCOBrowser

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Tue Sep 19 01:37:32 CEST 2006

On Sep 18, 2006, at 03:10, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 18.09.2006 um 10:05 schrieb Victor Ivrii:
>
>> Other help files could be seen. May be the reason of mistreatment of
>> pgf is the too large depth:
>>
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/doc/latex/pgf/version-for-pdftex/
>> en/pgfmanual.pdf
>> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/help/Catalogue/entries/
>> pgf.html
>
> No, I don't think that's the reason.

I don't think so either...

> Looking into catalogue.xml the elder version has:
>
>   <version number='0.65'/>	(of pgf)
>   <documentation href='ctan:/graphics/pgf/pgfuserguide.pdf'/>
>   <documentation href='ctan:/graphics/pgf/README'/>
>
> the newer version has:
>
>   <version number='1.01'/>	(of pgf)
>   <documentation href='ctan:/graphics/pgf/doc/generic/pgf/version-
> for-pdftex/en/pgfmanual.pdf'/>
>   <documentation href='ctan:/graphics/pgf/doc/generic/pgf/version-
> for-tex4ht/en/pgfmanual.html'/>
>   <documentation href='ctan:/graphics/pgf/README'/>
>
> In i-Installer's teTeX the docs are:
>
> 	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/doc/generic/pgf/version-for-
> pdftex/en/pgfmanual.pdf
> 	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/doc/generic/pgf/version-for-
> tex4ht/en/pgfmanual.html
> 	/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/doc/latex/pgf/pgfuserguide.pdf

This is ignored; I don't think that field was available in the TCO
when I wrote the program (or maybe the problem is that it lists
multiple sources, and I wasn't sure how to choose one).

As I have explained previously, I search for pgf.[pdf|ps|dvi]; as a
consequence, pgfmanual.*  won't be found.

> so the local docs are a bit off the road ... but: ~/Library/
> Application Support/TCOBrowser has the files TCOLocalDocCache and
> TCOLocalCache.plist. Both have not changed since (1,75) years,
> although I re-installed some parts of teTeX and XeTeX. There is a
> button missing to update the local docs cache ...

Those are obsolete files and can safely be deleted.

> When I (re)moved TCOLocalDocCache and TCOLocalCache.plist,
> TCOBrowser used for some period (minutes) most of the CPU power, but
> no new files were created. So I decided to re-create TCOLocalDocCache:
>
> 	locate /usr/local/teTeX | egrep '\.(pdf|dvi|ps)$' > ~/Library/
> Application\ Support/TCOBrowser/TCOLocalDocCache
>
> still with no luck: could be an updated TCOLocalCache.plist file is
> needed, too.
>

> It would be nice if a package's version could be displayed.

Yes, this sounds useful.

Adam