[OS X TeX] New Mac

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Sep 18 13:14:36 CEST 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Victor Ivrii wrote:

> The problem with 17" display (not HD) is that it does not seem to  be
> high enough for a full page and two portrait mode monitors would be
> mode adequate

That's dependent on the sort of documents one uses --- you Europeans
are at something of a disadvantage here since your standard document
size (A4) is taller than the American standard letter.

Also, I'm usually working on books and journals, so sizes are a bit
smaller, 10 and 11/16 is the height for one, and if I turn off
cropmarks, it fits quite nicely as a spread.

I still wish someone would make a laptop w/ a second display in the
place of the keyboard (but touch sensitive so it could display a
keyboard at need) and which allowed one to rotate both displays ---
even w/o that, it's pretty cool to use Acrobat Reader on a laptop,
rotate the display, and hold the laptop as a book when reading e-texts.

On Sep 17, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> I can't see any need for a monitor bigger than required to `Display
> either the input text or the output file, but not both at the same
> time'.  What's the need for a huge monitor?  The first place I used
> TeX
> didn't even have a screen previewer available.

Need is arguably too strong a word, luxury, or extra-large-capacity
making for more efficient working maybe? At least until we on Mac OS
X get something like Bakoma TeX's TeX Word, it's nice to be able to
compare the typeset version w/ the source when one is working for
some tasks at least.

Even then, it's nice to be able to have the preview on one monitor,
and all of ones palettes and the log / console &c. on the other.

William

--
William Adams
senior graphic designer

This email message and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and intended only for the addressee(s). If you are
not the intended recipient(s), any usage,  dissemination, disclosure, or
action taken in  reliance on it is prohibited.  The reliability of  this
method of communication cannot be guaranteed.  Email can be intercepted,
corrupted, delayed, incompletely transmitted, virus-laden,  or otherwise
affected during transmission. Reasonable steps have been taken to reduce
the risk of viruses, but we cannot accept liability for damage sustained
as a result of this message. If you have received this message in error,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it and notify the sender.