[OS X TeX] New Mac

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Sat Sep 16 18:19:31 CEST 2006

On Sep 15, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> Let me repeat my educated opinion that a Laptop should be
> considered as a substitute for the real thing (fast computer, large
> monitor), which has its merits  when travelling.

Your educated opinion may be based on assumptions that do not apply
equally to others. For the last 12 years or so (I lost track), my
main everyday computer has been some laptop (mostly Apple) with one
or more external displays at work and at home. Currently, I use a 2GB
black MacBook with 23" displays at work and at home. 2GB is critical
for large external displays on the MacBook, which uses main memory
for display buffers. I sacrifice some speed and local disk space to
the huge convenience of having my work world (email, papers, data
files, class notes, presentations) always with me. In typical uses
with TeX, I may have TexShop on the big display and a support program
like OmniGraffle on the laptop display, or Keynote on he big display
and LaTexIt on the laptop display. I found that for me the sacrifices
in speed and display space are more than worth the efficiency of not
having to worry about synchronizing and maintaining multiple
machines. I also keep backups on external FireWire drives, and in the
couple of times that I had issues with one laptop, I just bought a
replacement right away and reconstructed my world from backup, since
I can always pass on the old laptop after repair to a eager graduate
student.

-- F