[OS X TeX] Building new formats (MacTeX)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Sep 16 13:47:10 CEST 2006

On Sep 16, 2006, at 12:22 , Maarten Sneep wrote:

> 2) copy that file to reside within the texmf.local tree, and try
> (1) again to see if it is found instead.
> Now, depending on how exactly you are going to update your tex: i-
> Installer will leave texmf.local alone. I don't know about MacTeX,
> perhaps someone else can comment on this. You may want to copy your
> fmtutil.cnf into the texmf.local tree as well. With the commands I
> gave it is not possible to store the configuration the your home
> directory.

I suspect that MacTeX overwrites texmf.local. The reason I do is that
a few brave people tried my first attempt at a TL-instead-of-teTeX-
for-the-main-texmf-tree i-Package and it went wrong because several
hyphenation pattern and map files were missing. When they tried to
reverse to a previous i-Package, the TeX i-Package had changed some
files in texmf.local (e.g. commenting out unavailable language
pattern files because having them active but unavailable makes
fmtutil end up in an endless loop). When they returned to the
original i-Package, the languages (and maps) staid inactive, because
the i-Package leaves texmf.local alone. One person reported he was
back to normal after installing MacTeX, hence my suspicion that
MacTeX.pkg does clean up texmf.local. For a package that is meant for
abslute non-techs, providing a basic working solution, this is
probably a sound strategy, but some warning that your local changes
are overwritten might be nice. I am guessing, though.