[OS X TeX] Building new formats (MacTeX)

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Fri Sep 15 23:34:45 CEST 2006

> Warning, I've never built new formats, and I don't use anything but
> US English, so I've never played with changing hyphenation patterns,
> but ..
>
> On Sep 15, 2006, at 3:32 PM, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
>

> >> kpsewhich language.dat -progname=pdflatex
> >> gives the language settings file for pdflatex.
> >
> > Okay.  But what does that mean, exactly?  Why do I need to know
> > this? How could I have worked it out for myself?
> >
> > (Thank you for telling me, but I'd like to be able to find this
> > sort of thing out without having to ask - frankly, it'd be nice to
> > have some understanding of these commands instead of having to ask
> > every time, and I'm not sure that the answer you've given me is
> > actually any help to me at all, since I don't see how it applies to
> > iniTeX.)
> >
> > The question I still need an answer to is: how can I find out which
> > particular language.dat files will be used when I build formats?
>
> Hmm, if 'kpsewhich language.dat -progname=pdflatex' tells you which
> language.dat file is used by pdflatex, then I would guess that
> 'kpsewhich language.dat -progname=initex' tells you which
> language.dat file is used by initex. Indeed, on my machine:
>
> goedde$ kpsewhich language.dat -progname=initex
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex/tex/generic/config/language.dat
>
> Does that help?

<grin>  It might do - it might very well do.  I still need to get the
hang of the structure of all this, but I think I'm getting there.  Yes -
it's beginning to make some sort of sense.  Thanks very much :-)

Anyway, *IF* that is how to find out which language.dat file will be
used, then my problem is solved.  The way to find out is to read the
logs when the time comes.

Now all I need to do is find out how to get Babel to set the default
language to what I want.

Rowland.