[OS X TeX] Building new formats (MacTeX)

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Fri Sep 15 23:24:32 CEST 2006

> At 9:32 PM +0100 9/15/06, Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> >
> >P.S.
> >How to make a printable (ps or pdf) version of a man page, from
> ><http://www.osxfaq.com>:
> >
> >=
> [excruciating long description of unnecessary steps deleted]

Was the implicit personal abuse of me really necessary?  I tried to find
out how to do this job by reading the man man page.  That lead me to the
Web, and finding the solution I stumbled across.  I thought I'd try to
give some useful information to the mailing list, and what response do I
get?  A put down.  How nice.  Maybe I didn't find the best solution -
well, okay: but wouldn't it have led to a better atmosphere all round if
you'd presented your improved method in a friendlier way?

> Instead one can just use man -t ; the output is a PS file, so:
>
> % man -t foo > foo.ps    (Creates a ps file of the man page on 'foo')
> % man -t foo | pstopdf > foo.pdf   (Creates a pdf file of same)
> % man -t foo | lp           (Prints formatted man page (assuming lp
> is a postscript printer)

Well, that's a lot more straightforward.  I shall keep a note of the
method.

Rowland.