[OS X TeX] encoding and special characters in TexShop

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Sep 15 11:47:20 CEST 2006

Le 15 sept. 06 à 11:23, Luis Sequeira a écrit :

> TeXShop has an auto-completion feature that, amongst other things
> does what you describe.
> You could, as was suggested, turn auto-completion off, but that is
> overkill.

I can't see why, as soon as you write in another language than plain
English, you would wish to have ü replaced automatically by \"u and
so forth. You can't get proper hyphenation this way. To get proper
hyphenation you need:

- To make TeX understand your non-ASCII keystrokes, using the
inputenc package with the appropriate option ([latin1] or [applemac]
in most cases).

- To make TeX use fonts that include these non-ASCII characters
natively, either using the fontenc package with the [LY1] option, or
the fontenc package with the [T1] option plus the textcomp package.
With Computer Modern fonts, that implies, in addition, either
installing the CM-Super fonts or using the lmodern package .

- To make take use the proper hyphenation pattern, most likely by
using the babel package with the appropriate language option (here
[german]).

As soon as an accented character is entered through control
sequences, \"u say, you won't get proper hyphenation. Without the
babel package, any word containing \"u won't be hyphenated at all
(TeX won't consider it as a word). With the babel package, both
portions of the word before \"u and after \"u will be hyphenated
independently. But in order to get proper hyphenation, you really
needs all the steps above.

Or you can use XeTeX and do everything UTF-8 (typing in UTF-8, using
OS X fonts). No inputenc, no fontenc. Babel works for most languages
in XeTeX, but for some languages for which the babel supports implies
using specific hard-wired fonts, then there are problems.

Bruno Voisin