[OS X TeX] Building new formats (MacTeX)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Wed Sep 13 16:02:11 CEST 2006

> On 13-sep-2006, at 14:13, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
> [snip, some language.dat file locations in my texmf tree]
>
>> The first one probably does not exists on a pristine install of
>> MacTeX.
>> The second one does, but it should be copied to the location of the
>> first
>> one before being edited or it will be overwritten on a next install.
>
> So, it will be created by i-Installer when customizing the
> hyphenation patterns in expert mode? Otherwise I wouldn't know how
> this file sprung into existence.

Exactly. In tex.configure you see the following snippet of code and the
warn statement at the end leads to a line in the Error view of the
Subprocess Output tab in i-Installer telling you which file was used as
input and which as output (might be the same after the first run on a
pristine system):

    my $texmfvardir = undef;
    my $sudostring = "";
    if (defined $configforuser and $configforuser ne 'root') {
	$sudostring = "sudo -H -u ${configforuser}";
	$texmfvardir = `${sudostring} kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFVAR`;
    }
    else {
	$sudostring = "sudo -H -u root";
	$texmfvardir = `${sudostring} kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFSYSVAR`;
    }
    if (not defined $texmfvardir) {
	$texmfvardir = `kpsewhich -var-value=TEXMFLOCAL`;
    }
    chomp( $texmfvardir);
    $languagedat_out_dir = "$texmfvardir/tex/generic/config";
    $languagedat_out = "$languagedat_out_dir/language.dat";
    ipkgsystem( "${sudostring} /bin/mkdir -p \"$languagedat_out_dir\"");
    $languagedat_in = `${sudostring} kpsewhich -format=.tex language.dat`;
    chomp( $languagedat_in);
    warn "### ${PROGNAME} Source: $languagedat_in, Destination:
$languagedat_out\n";