[OS X TeX] Simple(?) MacTeX question

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Tue Sep 12 03:32:26 CEST 2006

Folks,

In the midst of an excellent explanation of graphics in MacTeX, Bruno
Voisin wrote

> I don't use on-the-fly conversion myself: this means the conversion
> of redone for every included graphics each time your TeX document
> is typeset, and IMHO this is just a waste of time and computer
> resources.

My understanding is that if you include a graphic
using a command like

	   \includegraphics[width=2in]{example}

and omit the extension of the graphic file, then TeX will use the
appropriate file
is it finds one and convert only if it needs to.

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu