[OS X TeX] Simple(?) MacTeX question

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Sep 11 22:26:19 CEST 2006

On Sep 11, 2006, at 20:58 , Rowland McDonnell wrote:

> Now, I gather than ImageMagick is set up to provide on-the-fly
> conversions from tiff to png when pdfLaTeXing.  I'd like to find out
> more about this, mostly to stop it.  Where do I look?

ImageMagick provides coversions. It is your TeX setup that defines if
it can be done "on-the-fly". The TeX in my i-Package ships with this
turned off (safe default).

In texmf.cnf:

% Enable \write18 (run shell processes from within TeX job)
% Set to t if needed
% (I think this might have security implications, especially if you
% run tex jobs as administrator, so I keep it turned off by default
shell_escape = f

the --shell-escape flag of tex turns it on again and I think TeXShop
has this as default and warns you once (the first time you are
running like this).