[OS X TeX] Optimized PDFs?

stephenmoye at cox.net stephenmoye at cox.net
Mon Sep 11 15:54:01 CEST 2006

I recently took a look at a variety of PDFs produced from TeXShop. I found that for the various ways of producing a pdf (TeX and Ghostscript, pdfTeX and XeTeX) that the PDF output is not optimized. I bring this up because we have found that a wide variety of browsers (using plugins to display PDFs directly in a browser window) on both Windows and Linux boxes have problems displaying non-optimized PDFs --  generally not displaying the PDF . As soon as the PDFs are optimized they display without a problem. Files that have been produced using Quartz PDFContext are in the majority of problem files.

I have used pdfinfo to get at the PDFs. If I use TeX and Ghostscript, then the output from pdfinfo is:

Title:          whimsix.dvi
Creator:        dvips(k) 5.95b Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
Producer:       AFPL Ghostscript 8.51
CreationDate:   Mon Sep 11 09:00:42 2006
ModDate:        Mon Sep 11 09:00:42 2006
Tagged:         no
Pages:          86
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      504 x 720 pts
File size:      606252 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.3

If I use pdflatex, I get this:

Creator:        TeX
Producer:       pdfeTeX-1.30.4
CreationDate:   Mon Sep 11 09:02:51 2006
Tagged:         no
Pages:          86
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      504 x 720 pts
File size:      369713 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.4

Finally, if I use xelatex (xetex is unicode TeX, and xelatex is unicode LaTeX, both can use OpenType):

Title:           XeTeX output 2006.09.11:0905
Creator:        xdv2pdf
Producer:       Mac OS X 10.4.7 Quartz PDFContext
CreationDate:   Mon Sep 11 09:05:57 2006
ModDate:        Mon Sep 11 09:05:57 2006
Tagged:         no
Pages:          88
Encrypted:      no
Page size:      504 x 720 pts
File size:      2237026 bytes
Optimized:      no
PDF version:    1.3

Is there anyway for TeXShop to optimize the PDFs that it produces?

Thanks for any information.

SGM