[OS X TeX]

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Sep 9 10:21:54 CEST 2006

Am 09.09.2006 um 02:36 schrieb Paul Fontana:

> TeXShop (i-installer?) version:
> <-- snip -->
> [1{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/
> pdftex.map}]</usr
> /local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb> </
> Users/fontan
> ap/Library/texmf/fonts/pk/modeless/adobe/kaufmann/pkur8r.600pk></
> usr/local/teTe
> X/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr7.pfb>
> <-- snip -->
>
> Terminal (Fink?) version:
> <-- snip -->
> [1{/Users/fontanap/.texmf-var/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}]</
> sw/share/texm
> f-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr10.pfb>{/sw/share/texmf-dist/fonts/
> enc/dvips/p
> snfss/8r.enc}</Users/fontanap/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/adobe/
> kaufmann/pkur8a.p
> fb></sw/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/bluesky/cm/cmr7.pfb>
> <-- snip -->

This is *very* interesting.

Before it started to work with the MAP files in Fink's teTeX, somehow
these PK fonts were generated from the PS fonts, because there was no
rule present that was mapping a TeX font name like pkur<font
encoding> to a PostScript or TrueType font. I-Installer's teTeX is
still missing the MAP file entries, so it assumes PK fonts are used –
and finds them in your private TeX tree.

Since the PK fonts are bitmaps, optimised for a high resolution
device (600 dpi), they can look on a low resolution screen (<100 dpi)
a bit rough due to scaling. (This is not the merit of any pdfTeX
simulation like simpdftex or its elder version altpdftex.)

As I mentioned yesterday: put your pku.map into i-Installer's local
teTeX tree and run updmap for this system! This will make both
systems more equal.

And both systems could share the standard fonts. 100 MB disk space or
more ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
None.
They just redefine "dark" as the new standard.