[OS X TeX] [OT] (super)size of eps/pdf figures

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Fri Sep 8 22:20:26 CEST 2006

I have this figure which I saved in Illustrator as eps, and which is
1.6 MB. The pdf version of the figure that's created when I run
pdflatex is 180 KB (yes, "K"). If I open this pdf figure in
Illustrator and simply save it as eps, it blows up to 1.4 MB (yes,
"M"). The problem is, I have 4 figures like that I need to upload to
a server along with my latex source, but I can't b/c the figures are
huge. (The server is supposed to assemble my latex file and its eps
figures to create a pdf output.)

-Is there a way to create lean eps files, either from a fat eps file
or from a lean pdf?

-Does it make sense that size increases by a factor of 8 by merely
saving from pdf to eps?

I was curious so I saved an empty file (an empty 11x8.5 page) in
Illustrator as eps. The resulting file is 380 KB(!)

Themis