[OS X TeX] XeLaTeX in TeXShop

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 7 18:01:41 CEST 2006

Le 7 sept. 06 à 17:32, Michael Kubovy a écrit :

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 8:51 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Do you have, by any chance, a ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist? Any
>> setting there would affect all GUI applications and the
>> subprocesses run by them. I don't think that could make TeXShop
>> call X11 when compiling a TeX file with the XeLaTeX engine, but
>> who knows?
>
> Yes.
> % more ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
> "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
> <plist version="1.0">
> <dict>
> <key>PATH</key>
> <string>/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/
> sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/teTeX/
> bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current</string>
> </dict>
> </plist>
> %

Nothing here that would call X11, apparently. It's practically the
same path that is obtained in a login shell after letting i-Installer
perform CLI activation for the GhostScript i-Package (adding /usr/
local/bin) and the TeX i-Package (adding /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-
apple-darwin-current or /usr/local/teTeX/bin/i386-apple-darwin-
current depending on your setup).

Maybe some ~/.bashrc, ~/.bash_profile, ~/.login or ~/.xinitrc is
interfering here, but we're entering uncharted territories (for me)
and I'd rather stop suggesting anything.

Maybe going through Peter Dyballa's detailed instructions at <http://
www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/Make_X11_Ready/Readme.html> would provide
hints. Are you sure you didn't install Pete's X11 package?

BTW, to Gary and Joe: the link "Make X11 Ready" in the Applications
Table <http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/MacOS_X_TeX_Table.shtml> at Mac-
TeX points to a ReadMe file <http://www.esm.psu.edu/mac-tex/
Make_X11_Ready/Readme.html>, but not to the actual package. Namely,
the ReadMe mentions some software but this software is nowhere to be
seen. Did I miss a link within the ReadMe?