OT: [OS X TeX] tex, pdf, and doc

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 12:16:33 CEST 2006

On 9/5/06, Gerben Wierda <Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl> wrote:

> Well, well.
>
> This has a potential to be good enough (and in some ways easier for the
> user, but with a price to pay because heuristics is involved) to become
> the de facto standard. In fact, if Word will include something like this,
> it is possible that this will be good enough for so many that it will put
> a serious dent in TeX's popularity in the science community.
>
> Add some finer stuff like protrusion and better support for conceptual
> writing (and stability with huge documents) and Microsoft will in fact
> have produced a winner.

What about platform independence and backward compatibility? Also
price? So far I have not seen any M$ program doing at least fair with
graphics: straight lines except vertical/horizontal look like saws.
When PowerPoint imports LaTeX produced equations it turns transparent
background into white so each equation is surrounded by white
rectangle (on the fancy PP background).

> I get the feeling that OpenOffice's pressure is making Microsoft innovate
> seriously here.

We have seen M$ innovative with java and javascript