Exceedingly OT - Re: [OS X TeX] tex, pdf, and doc

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 00:13:38 CEST 2006

On 9/4/06, Alex Hamann <Alexander.Hamann at stud-mail.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:

> I guess my question is: has anybody had any problems with publishers
> not accepting tex-processed files? I am a little afraid of writing my
> thesis with Tex and then discovering that the word-lovers have taken
> over even the publishers....

I _spoke_ with people who never heard about \TeX and who are
professional interpreters working for publishing houses. So they
prepare everything in M$W but publishers in the end of the days use
Quark. I never heard about _professional_ publishers using M$W for the
preparation of the final documents. Surely those who print $0.02 books
in the paperback on 5times recycled paper use M$W, but they are not
pros.

However about \TeX you _need to ask prospective publishers_. They can
have very special ideas how what they publish should look like and at
least certain journals have their own sty and cls; the same is true
for thesis (just look how many thesis .sty and .cls one can find on
CTAN) because people in Grads Schools could have their ideas how
thesis should look like. At Stanford I was told they measure margins
and texts by a ruler and reject anything deviating more than 1 mm from
the standard. Even if the publishers are completely \TeX oriented they
could have their own input, sty or class which is incompatible with
those you are using.

In contrast to North American counterparts at least some European
Universities do not have grad schools and thesis is controlled by the
departments, in which case thesis often is no more than a collection
of completely differently typeset papers with even their own page
numbering + a short introduction.