[OS X TeX] tex, pdf, and doc

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Sep 4 18:31:22 CEST 2006

> Thanks to Adam, Bruno and Claus for the quick answer. I tried
> latex2rtf  on my document (article with bibliography, no equations
> and no special fonts) and am surprised by the pretty nice outcome.
> The only thing not entirely satisfaying is  the bibliography - but
> that seems to be comparably easy to correct (or I should venture
> deeper into the latex2rtf documentation).
> The OpenOffice-solution sounds interesting as well (esp. since I am
> already using for quick papers). I guess the fact that I do not have
> to deal with equations makes everything a lot  easier.
>
> Just out of curiosity: I saw the i-Package wvware MS Word Conversion.
> Anybody got some experience with that? (even though that would do the
> opposite operation I was trying to do)
>
> Claus: I am afraid that won´t work... historians are quite
> conservative (at least those I have to deal with). Just to explain
> why I have pdf- and not doc-format (LaTex??? What the heck is that??)
> Would be an interesting but probably hopeless project.

It might be interesting to see if your organisation has some sort of
standards policy. If it has, they mostly says something like preferring or
even demanding open standards, of which PDF is one.

However, people are only going to convert to such a solution when it is
easy for them to do it. Concatenating Word (inserting one doc at the end
of another) is for most people a very simple operation, even if the
combined stuff inside the docs may lead to hiccups. So the suggestion I
have just made is of limited use ;-)