[OS X TeX] Help for FontForge needed

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Sep 2 20:46:20 CEST 2006

Am 31.08.2006 um 22:46 schrieb André Bellaïche:

> No Apple application in my computer would be able to open a DVI
> file. I only had to use dvips from a Terminal.

A recent version of TeXShop, or TeXniscope, a dedicated "DVI
viewer" (which actually converts via dvipdfmx to PDF), should tell
LaunchService that they are applications to handle DVI files. Maybe a
PreferencePane like RCDefaultApp by Carl Lindberg is needed to
correct missing things ...

> "texdoc fontname" does nothing in my Terminal: no error message, no
> action, just sending the next prompt. So I use dvips -o.

I have a specially adapted private copy of TeX's texdoc script.

>> So I have to correct myself: it's not dvipdfm (that's TeXniscope's
>> convertor) but simpdftex, i.e DVI->PS via dvips and then PS->PDF
>> via Apple's pstopdf according to my preferences setting.
>
> I don't understand this part  of your message. In fact, pdflatex
> works well for me, so I never had the need of using altpdflatex or
> simpdflatex. I still have to find (in this list, or on the web)
> what they are used for.

First I made a mistake by claiming that TeXShop was using the same
DVI to PDF convertor as TeXniscope.

Simpdftex is a simulator for pdfTeX which uses pdfTeX to create DVI
and dvips to create a PostScript output file that then could be
converted to PDF with Ghostscript for those that use (La)TeX
constructs which rely on dvips. Or such ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
                     -- Garfield