[OS X TeX] TeXLive i-Package update

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Oct 31 22:13:21 CET 2006

On Oct 31, 2006, at 20:16 , Paul Vickers wrote:

> Can someone clarify what version of TeX I should be running now? I
> am running the Gerben Wierda TeTeX distribution from a couple of
> years back which I updated from TUG last week after updating
> iInstaller to v 2.83. (I have today updated iInstalller to v.2.85).
> The Directory tree is:
>
> /usr/local/tetex/share/texmf.gwtex + texmf.local + texmf.tetex
>
> I see the talk is now about using TeX Live rather than TeTeX
> (though I don't know what the difference is), but that the TeX Live
> version is only on the Experimental site.
>
> Should I wait until TeXLive appears on TUG? If so, will it
> automatically upgrade cleanly or do I need to remove something
> first? Is there any advantage to moving from the TeTeX installation
> I have now?

The main texmf tree in the TeX i-Package is almost 2 years old and
has not been updated since (by Thomas Esser who it is from). It will
never be updated as he has announced that he will not support it
anymore.

The binaries have been form TeX Live since 2003.

The new TeX Live i-Package contains the same binaries as the TeX i-
Package (from TeX Live, though more recent). It contains a texmf tree
that is a subset of TeX Live.

It installs in a different location and both installs can live side
by side. The old TeX i-Package install in /usr/local/teTeX and the
new TeX Live i-Package installs in /usr/local/TeXLive. There will not
be an assisted migration (undoable).