[OS X TeX] TeXLive i-Package update

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 30 15:07:09 CET 2006

Le 30 oct. 06 à 12:34, Gerben Wierda a écrit :

> The problems some people experienced were the result of something
> as simple as a missing ls-R database (texhash/mktexlsr did not run).
>
> I think the situation now is that i-Installer 2.85 fixes the
> dependency problems and the TeX Live i-Package itself does the
> texhash when configuration follows installation.
>
> Both together should fix things.

Install just completed. Some quick points:

- The XeTeX, XEplain and XeLaTeX formats can't be compiled (assuming
they've been checked in Expert mode at the Format Selection stage),
because of a missing unicode-letters.tex (at /usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.local/tex/generic/xetex/unicode-letters.tex in the teTeX setup).

- Files created during the install stage are put inside texmf.local.
In keeping with the new philosophy of making texmf.local the
repository of user additions only, and of introducing texmf.pkgs for
i-Installer-managed additions, I would have thought install files
(.fmt files etc.) belonged to this latter texmf.pkgs.

- A number of useful map files have vanished from the list of choices
offered by i-Installer. I'm thinking specifically of those in /usr/
local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/tetex/ (for me, lucidabr-
o.map, lumath-o.map, mt-yy.map, mt-plus.map). Is this on purpose? Is
there a way to add these, without using updmap? As I understand it, i-
Installer creates the list it displays based on /usr/local/TeXLive/
texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg, right?

- I'm perplexed by the content of psfonts.map at the end of the
installation process: no info inside it for Computer Modern or LaTeX
fonts. This seems to be caused by the absence in the distro of:

cmother-bsr.map
cmtext-bsr-interpolated.map
cmtext-bsr.map
latex-bsr.map

Are Latin Modern fonts supposed to be used in place of these?

There are teTeX replacements of those .map files:

/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/tetex/bsr-
interpolated.map
/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/tetex/bsr.map

However, they would overlap partly with:

/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/ams/ams-bsr-
interpolated.map
/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/ams/ams-bsr.map
/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/ams/ams-cmcsc-bsr-
interpolated.map
/usr/local/TeXLive/texmf.texlive/fonts/map/dvips/ams/ams-cmex-bsr-
interpolated.map

Unrelated: installing the netpbm i-Package leaves a few files behind:

theo8mc233:~ bvoisin$ ls -l /usr/local/netpbm*
-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin    681 Sep 30 20:06 /usr/local/
netpbm.iibless.plist
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin    533 Sep 30 22:02 /usr/local/netpbm.prepare
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  admin  14976 Sep 30 22:44 /usr/local/netpbm.remove
-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin   3422 Sep 27 21:12 /usr/local/netpbm.rtf

That's all for now!