[OS X TeX] can't delete folders in Trash

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Oct 29 23:50:08 CET 2006

Am 29.10.2006 um 17:31 schrieb Friedrich Vosberg:

> On 29.10.2006, at 11.52, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Try 'rm -rf'!
>>
>> Have you tried 'ls -alwR' to see yourself?
>
> albook:~/.Trash fv$ rm -rf \_map
> rm: _map: Directory not empty
> albook:~/.Trash fv$ cd \_map
> albook:~/.Trash/_map fv$ ls -alwR
> albook:~/.Trash/_map fv$
>
> Mysterious, isn't it?

Indeed ...

There are two UNIX things I can think of, that might give a cause. A
process is writing into a temporary file and its name is not yet
recorded in the directory, or a defunct or zombie process is still
running from inside this directory. In these two cases deletion might
fail. A reboot can cure this. Apple's HFS can be the third cause.
Check at least the volume!

lsof, list of open files, can output a few thousand lines. You could
try:

	lsof | egrep 'bera|_map'

If you remember which programme might have caused the accident you
might like to add ``-c <programme>´´ to lsof. Lsof lists in the first
column the programme that uses the file and in the last column its
name. Inbetween is some other information, for example the owner
(user) of the file. You can compact the output of lsof by specifying
``-u<user name>´´ still and more with a filter:

	lsof | egrep 'bera|_map' | awk '{print $1 " - " $NF}'

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

The future will be much better tomorrow.
                                -- George W. Bush