[OS X TeX] Displaying a LaTeX beamer presentation

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Thu Oct 26 08:22:48 CEST 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 2:00 AM, TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List wrote:

> GIven that Preview.app has its limitations, what do people use to
> display beamer-type presentations? Acrobat? I have heard that Acrobat
> installation is rather imperialistic, in that it installs and setups
> all kind of things to use Acrobat which is then hard to get rid of.
> But I do not recall the specifics.

Well, I admit that I most often use Preview. But since you mention
limitations, you may be using pdf-features that Preview can't handle
and that I'm not aware of. In addition, there is a small Python
program called KeyJNote which i like a lot. It's free (as in beer),
and it offers a lot of
nice eye-candy during presentations of pdf-files such as nice
transitions, a sorted view that shows all slides in one window and
lets you choose one, and the possibility to highlight parts of the
screen with your mouse pointer. There are some disadvantages: it has
a lot of pythonish dependencies (on OS X, I could install them via
darwinports, but it's a lot more difficult on most linux distros), it
needs opengl support, and a reasonably fast machine. But it costs
nothing to just have a look at it: http://keyjnote.sourceforge.net/

Best

Thomas