[OS X TeX] Displaying a LaTeX beamer presentation

Adam M. Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Thu Oct 26 01:00:30 CEST 2006

Maarten Sneep wrote:
> On 26-okt-2006, at 0:35, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> GIven that Preview.app has its limitations, what do people use to
>> display beamer-type presentations? Acrobat? I have heard that Acrobat
>> installation is rather imperialistic, in that it installs and setups
>> all kind of things to use Acrobat which is then hard to get rid of.
>> But I do not recall the specifics.
>
> It will install a plugin & framework into Safari (right into the
> application), but I think they improved their attitude, and are
> behaving themselves now (but wait for confirmation). If you never run
> the reader as an admin user, you can prevent a lot of trouble, but be
> sure to disable the pdf plugin.
>
> There is my presenter tool, but I don't use it myself (now _that's_ an
> endorsement!). Hyperlinks will not work.
>
> Doesn't "Slideshow" in Preview help you?
>
> Maarten
I have recently run into this problem. I can't stand Acrobat Reader. It
seems like I am always hitting the wrong key, for one thing, and the
presentation doesn't go where I want it to. Also there are its problems
with installing and updating itself in inconvenient ways.

Preview's slide show feature is a nuisance, though, because it has its
own set of slide show commands. I haven't figured out how to work around
them. They appear on the screen in front of the PDF.

When I have to use a PC or someone else's mac, I use Acrobat reader. On
my own laptop, I use XPDF. ThenI navigate around using Beamer's
navigation tools on each slide, and using "n" and "p".

Use: xpdf myslidehow.pdf -fullscreen

I wish that TeXShop or TeXniscope had a full-screen mode!

And then use the left mouse button to get the contextual menu to quit
and so on.

-Adam