[OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?

Fernando Pereira fcnpereira at mac.com
Wed Oct 25 03:01:52 CEST 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 3:20 PM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:

> Now,\atop is not an original latex command but is part of amsmath.
> Thus Themis's request would require that TS would provide
> information for the commands in any package available which is not
> reasonable.

It is totally reasonable. R does that. If I type "ridge" is the R
search box, I get a dialog "Can't find help for topic, would you like
to expand the search?". If I click "Yes" I get a table of references
to ridge regression-related functions and packages, many of them not
part of core R.

> His request is also unnecessary, since amsmath, which is by the way
> part the current tetex installation, is an important package for
> him (as well as for me),  so that he should have installed the
> package's documentation in an easy to find location like I did.
> Moreover, being aware of the command, he should have known that it
> is an amsmath command, I probably would have, so that with a simple
> mouse click he could have opened the documentation and a search for
> \atop would have given him the information in five seconds. Even,
> if he didn't remember that \atop is part of amsmath googling would
> have provided this information in another five seconds; that's why
> I called his request unnecessary.

If I search for "\atop" in Google I get a whole mess of hits that do
not have anything to do with TeX. If I search for "\atop"+tex I get
better links, but none of them is a direct definition of "\atop". The
first one is an amsmath FAQ that refers to but does not explain "\atop".

What Themis asks for as unnecessary as a screwdriver is unnecessary
to work with screws -- you could always use a hammer and pliers.

-- F