Installation sites? (Was Re: [OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Oct 24 14:16:29 CEST 2006

> Claus,
>
> What happens when there is a package installed by i-Installer and you
> put a newer version in one of these recommended installation sites?
> Which is used?  Do packages in these directories take precedent?

Yes. When you run TeX (e.g. via TeXShop), these take precedent when TeX
looks for files.

But during the configuration phase of the TeX i-Package, these locations
are ignored. Hence, for stuff like sty files and such that are not used
during configuration of TeX, ~/Library/texmf is fine. But for stuff like
additional fonts, maps, hyphenation patterns etc, which are used during
configuration (think creation of font maps, formats), texmf.local (or
another system-wide alternative as used by Rowland for instance, see list
archive) is a better place.