Installation sites? (Was Re: [OS X TeX] R, paradigm to bring into the LaTeX world?)

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Oct 24 06:29:34 CEST 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 11:51 PM, Joshua Smith wrote:

> What happens when there is a package installed by i-Installer and
> you put a newer version in one of these recommended installation
> sites?  Which is used?  Do packages in these directories take
> precedent?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
>

> On Oct 22, 2006, at 8:31 AM, Claus Gerhardt wrote:
>
>> Let me clarify my install recommendations:
>>
>> Any .sty file should be installed in
>>  ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/misc
>>
>> the .cls files in
>> ~/Library/texmf/tex/latex/amscls
>>
>> the .bib, .bst files in
>> ~/Library/texmf/bibtex
>>
>> the .ist files in
>> ~/Library/texmf/makeindex
>>
>> Anyway, as a last resort, one should remember that tex always
>> finds files that are in the same directory as the actual tex file.

Yes, I believe that the TeX searches for files in the following
locations in the following order:

(1) the directory of the file being TeX'ed

(2) ~/Library/texmf
     and appropriate sub-directories

(3) /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local
     and appropriate sub-directories

(4) all the places i-Installer installs stuff, e.g.,
     /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex
     /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.gwtex
     etc.

Regards,